Vacancy: Communication and Information management officer
Centre for Human Rights and Policy Studies (CHRIPS) is a leading independent research and policy development Centre based in Nairobi. It invests in the generation and dissemination of knowledge that facilitates the development of innovative and effective policy solutions to pertinent security challenges in Africa.
Over the last few years, CHRIPS has established the highest possible standards for scholarly research and has grown in expertise and experience in generating knowledge in the areas of human rights, security, terrorism and counter-terrorism, violence, crime and policing at both academic and policy levels. Its research and analysis has informed policy in the fields of security sector reforms as well as human rights at national and regional levels. Through the participation of its members in various platforms, including conferences, seminars and submissions to peer reviewed publications, CHRIPS is today increasingly recognized as an important contributor to public debates and discourses of these issues.
In order to enhance its capacity, CHRIPS seeks to recruit one (1) communications and information management officer to assist in project implementation.
Communication and information management officer
Responsible for execution of CHRIPS internal and external communications policies and related processes, information repository and similar tasks as may be assigned
a) General Communication responsibilities:
1. Developing and implementation of CHRIPS communication strategy
2. Support relevant program staff to acquire the skills for mainstreaming communication into programming
3. Provide expert advice to the program staff on communication issues both internally and externally
4. Build strategic partnerships with key local, regional and international media outlets; 5. Plan and coordinate the communication, profiling and showcasing of CHRIPS work
6. Track media reports on CHRIPS thematic issues in the sub-region and share relevant items.
7. Identify and track media mentions of CHRIPS and its grantees
8. Maintain contacts and liaise with key local, regional and international media outlets.
b) Management of information repository
1. Create, maintain and enhance the new CHRIPS repository including ensuring data quality and promoting it to the research community.
2. To ensure that research outputs and research data contained in the repository is up to date, of a consistent quality, ensuring ease of discoverability.
3. To ensure that metadata and full text objects (both of published outputs and of research data) are made available via the repository in compliance with funder and publisher requirements, and copyright.
4. Advise on open access publishing of research outputs, and the curation and dissemination of research data.
5. To develop and review periodically the institution’s repository mandate, open access and research data management policies.
6. To promote the institutional repository to various stakeholders
7. To provide periodic reports to CHRIPS staff on the growth and use of the repository.
c) Management of website and social media accounts
1. Develop and implement strategic plan to grow CHRIPS social media audience.
2. Strengthen CHRIPS brand and engage our community on social media by producing creative and compelling content.
3. Manage the day-to-day execution of social media messaging through various platforms.
4. Use creative means to plan, organize, and implement a range of social media programs and/or events.
5. Generate content to update and maintain CHRIPS website (www.chrips.or.ke) 6. Grow web traffic for CHRIPS website by evaluating and improving the site’s SEO.
7. Work with the CHRIPS team to broaden awareness of the organization.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience & Skills
1. A proven track record in communication, management of databases, websites and social media platforms.
2. A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Communications or Journalism from a recognized university.
3. Microsoft certifications in Access or SQL Server; database design, administration, or management.
4. The ability to write creatively, clearly, and compellingly.
5. Strong qualitative and analytic skills; keen attention to detail and data accuracy.
6. Experience with web publishing, HTML, SEO and basic content management systems.
7. Sound knowledge of leveraging social media technologies such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blogs, and working knowledge of web analytics software.
8. Able to work with minimal direction and supervision; independent and self-sufficient.
9. Able to think strategically and are results driven.
10. Ability and desire to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment and flexible as tasks and priorities shift.
11. Ability to complete tasks within the set deadlines.
12. Strong interpersonal skills; ability to consistently demonstrate a professional manner in dealing with individuals at all levels, both internally and externally to the organization.
13. Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views.
How to apply
Applicants will be required to submit the following on order to be considered:
a) Curriculum Vitae.
b) Cover letter.
c) A short writing sample.
Please send in your application through the e-mail address: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
All applications must be submitted by 25th January 2019.